Wednesday, February 15, 2012

When Thrifting You Don't Always Buy Everything You Find

I've gotten my share of good deals when out looking for them. I have my favorite locations. And then there are the places that I'll go knowing that everything is going to be overpriced. But you go anyway, hoping against hope that there might be a deal this time.











I found these tables. I'm not usually a Formica topped table kind of guy, but these were a little different in that they were gray striped imitation wood grain. But since there were only two, and they were of different designs, and ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS? I had to let them go. They'll probably be perfect for someone else.








Then I saw this floor ashtray. I thought it would have been perfect in my Smoking Accessories as a Decorating Tool: Yes or No post from last week. And while I don't mind a little cleanup, this was frighteningly gross, heavily corroded, AND seventy five dollars.


Again, I had to let it go.

There will be another cool floor ashtray. Sometimes the wait makes it even more worth while.


We'll be back later with . . . more stuff.

1 comment:

  1. What a cool floor ashtry. $70, wow! I would have walked away from that too. I have been looking through all the thrift stores around my area trying to find vintage pipe smoking accessories for my brother's Christmas gift this year. He is really into vintage pipes and things but I am having a lot of trouble finding what I am looking for. Do you have any advice for someone trying to find a specific item in thrift stores? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for sharing Dave.

    ReplyDelete